CCK boss confident of fresh tenure

March 21, 2011
Shares

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 21- Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) Director General Charles Njoroge has maintained that his track record speaks for itself and he would like to have another go at the helm of the commission if given the opportunity to do so.

Although he has not heard from the board after he applied for an extension of his three-year contract, Mr Njoroge remains hopeful that he will continue to hold the mantle of the CCK for another three years. The law requires him to apply for the extension six months before the end of his term in June, which he did in December last year.

"My track record is there for all to see. If you want to see what I have done, you need to go back to when I was appointed.  If I have succeeded and Kenyans and the government want me to continue, I\’m at their service," he said.

He added: "I don\’t do this job for myself; I do it for Kenyans and I would want to ensure that I continue doing what I can if given the mandate."

Mr Njoroge\’s contract is due to expire in June but speculation is rife that the CCK board is adamant that they will not renew it. The Board is said to have alleged that Mr Njoroge has underperformed and therefore does not deserve a second chance.

"If someone is doing the right thing, then it\’s only fair that that is documented.  I will leave Kenyans to judge my tenure," the outgoing DG said.

However unconfirmed reports indicate that the refusal by the Board to extend Mr Njoroge\’s term stems from the implementation of some regulations which has rubbed some industry players the wrong way.

The implementation of the glide path for instance and which has seen call rates drop significantly in the last month has been a bone of contention that has pitted the DG against the telcos and even sometimes against the government.

Industry players have complained that the guidelines, which provides for the gradual reduction of mobile interconnection rates over the next three years and which has resulted in cut-throat competition should be discontinued as it will also lead to a Sh6 billion to Sh8 billion loss in revenues to the government.

CCK\’s intention is to have the interconnectivity charge stabilise at Sh0.87 by 2014, a scenario that telcos further argue is unsustainable for the industry.

When pressed on by the media on Monday, Mr Njoroge reiterated that the enforcement of such laws in the sector was geared towards ensuring that the consumer gets quality service at affordable rates and in a level playing field.

"Prices have been coming down and the benefits are to the Kenyans as it leads to a reduction in the cost of doing business. This is not just about prices but a question of the regulatory framework and I have a part to play in facilitating Kenya to be competitive," he added.

Information Permanent Secretary Dr Bitange Ndemo who sits on the CCK Board declined to comment on the issue.

"That\’s an issue for the (Information) Minister and the Chairman of the CCK Board to answer," the PS said.

Mr Njoroge has worked with the CCK for the last 12 years and was appointed to head the regulatory body on July 21, 2008 but now his fate seems to rest with Minister Samuel Poghisio and CCK Chairman Philip Okundi.

Follow the author at https://twitter.com/cirunjoroge
 

Shares

Latest Articles

Stock Market

Most Viewed